What are the benefits?
Benefits of the procedure include:
- Reducing the amount of bleeding when you clean your teeth
- Firming up unstable teeth and stopping any further recession of the gum along the tooth
- Helping retain your natural teeth. This is normally considered the best solution from a dental perspective because it prevents the need for replacement teeth, which can be time-consuming, painful, and costly.
What happens during the procedure?
Here’s what you can expect for non-surgical periodontal therapy:
- We will give you pain relief to numb the area and make sure you don’t feel a thing.
- We will then clean the tooth surface both above and below the gum to ensure there is no debris left on the tooth.
- Afterward, we will reinforce your brushing and flossing techniques to ensure you can maintain maximal care of your teeth at home.
Is it painful?
You can rest assured that we will make sure the area around your teeth is thoroughly numb even before we start working. You might feel some pressure during the actual procedure or some pain afterwards when the anesthesia has worn off, but we are always respectful and sensitive to your unique needs and strive to make you feel as comfortable and at ease as possible. There is sometimes some sensitivity to hot or cold for a couple of weeks after you have had this deep clean but this is normally temporary.
There is likely to be some further recession when the treatment is completed as the inflammation and swelling is removed from the gum tissue. However, if a tooth requiring this type of treatment is ignored, widespread gum and connective tissue infection may result, as well as loss of the tooth.
You can rely on us to provide you with clear explanations about your options so that you can make an informed decision regarding your own personal oral health. We will happily answer any questions until you are happy that you have all the answers that you need.